Monday, November 5, 2018

Attorney General & Insurance Commissioner - super exciting stuff!

I began my research on this race with the state's website for the Office of Attorney General. Check it out for yourself here. This person is basically the governor's legal adviser and I'm going to go ahead and remind you that this is definitely a stepping stone position for bigger and better political jobs. 

We have two candidates: Chris Carr and Charlie Bailey

Both candidates agree that human trafficking and opioid abuse are big problems in Georgia. Bailey promises to defend affordable healthcare which is a deciding point for me. Bailey has a rather impressive list of endorsements on his page that includes fifteen sheriffs and even more representatives. Carr also has a list of endorsements on his page and he actually has even more sheriffs on board than Bailey. I think it's interesting that both candidates have lists of endorsements as I haven't noticed this feature on any other candidate's website. 

Overall, I get the feeling that Carr and I have some philosophical differences, although it's hard to tell when reading his bio page...there's a lot of noise and accolades that drown out what this guy really thinks. I'm going with, Bailey, the new guy in this race.

----
Oooohhh...insurance commissioner...it's a party up in here! 

The Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner licenses and regulates insurance companies; ensures that insurance rates, rules, and forms comply with state law; investigates suspicions of insurance fraud; and conducts inspections of buildings and houses to prevent fire outbreak.


We actually have three choices in this race: Jim Beck, Janice Laws, Donnie Foster

As in other races, Atlanta Magazine compiled questions and answers from these candidates. Check out their article here.

I'm not about Beck's in-your-face Christian Conservative rhetoric, but his stance on the issues he's most interested in make sense. Laws makes a good case for herself having worked in the insurance industry for many years. Foster's bio leaves a lot to be desired and he doesn't appear to have a current job, but he clearly wants to make insurance more affordable for Georgians. 

Thank goodness for the Atlanta Magazine article (see link above). Foster only submitted an answer to one question and he ended by saying he would shut the office down if elected because there were other offices that could handle the responsibilities of Insurance Commissioner. It's an interesting stance to want to get elected so you can get rid of the office you ran for. Although I can't exactly argue against shutting down this office, it may be a bit rash to promise to eliminate it altogether.

----

Hallelujah. I'm done with my research. This has been an interesting project. I can't say that I look forward to doing it again, but I will. I will continue to research candidates and do my best to make informed decisions based on the information available from the candidates as well as other articles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment