Monday, November 5, 2018

11th Hour - the final countdown: Commissioner of Labor

Not gonna lie...I'm not looking forward to looking over the remaining candidates, but I am excited that election day is nearly here. This is the most prepared I have EVER been to vote. It's taken several hours to complete my research on all of the candidates. It makes me really question who our elected officials really represent because I don't think the majority of voters do this kind of research before making their choices. Do you?

First up, Commissioner of Labor! Woot! I visited the Department of Labor website in hopes of finding out what they actually do. The landing page has lots of information, but not necessarily anything about what this office does.

I found an opinion article from the AJC that describes the position of commissioner of labor as the person who "provides services to job seekers and employers, including running Georgia's unemployment insurance program and overseeing child labor issues." 

There are two candidates for the position: Mark Butler and Richard Keatley. An interesting note...I had to scroll and scroll to get to his political homepage. Google amazes me. 

Ya'll. In the aforementioned AJC article it explains that Keatley was a French professor and had run for another political position. He decided that he'd give this position a shot since he'd lost his previous bid at a political office. :/ THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH POLITICS. The guy he beat out in the primary appears to have been a better candidate based on his degrees and work experience (i.e. bachelor's degree in history, master's degree in business administration, and an internship with the Labor Department in Augusta!!!). So what happened in the primary?? I guess that ship has sailed, but daggone. 

There are noticeable differences in philosophy between the Butler and Keatley. Although skeptical of Keatley's qualifications and interest in the position, I am intrigued by his emphasis on education including working to "transform prisons into colleges." He sees education as the key to improving life in Georgia. I whole-heartedly agree with this. 

Butler's "issues" leave me wanting more information and ideas. For example, he says that his "team will continue to improve our state's technology for even better customer service." What does this mean? The information on his website leads me to believe that he's fine maintaining the status quo. 

I have more candidates to research so my blogs aren't going to be as lengthy...my choice for Labor Commissioner is made.



No comments:

Post a Comment