Sunday, October 21, 2018

Georgia's 2018 State Superintendent Candidates

We've got two candidates on the ballot for state superintendent in Georgia. 

Richard Woods vs. Otha Thornton

Woods has been our state superintendent since being elected in 2014. Notably, he replaced John Barge who quit to run for governor. Remember...it's these smaller government roles that serve as stepping stones to higher positions so it is important for us to choose wisely. Woods has a resume that includes lots of experience actually working in schools and school district offices in various roles including being a teacher for 14 years. 

While Thornton has an impressive resume with lots of recognition including an honorary doctorate, as far as I can tell he has never been in the classroom. The closest thing I see to school experience is that he was the President of the National Parent Teacher Association and he served on an education task force in Maryland. I feel pretty strongly that someone who is in charge of schools should have worked in a school somewhere along the line.

Woods list of issues and potential solutions is specific, yet not scary. For example, under improving school safety he's calling for improved school climate and deferring to local districts for how to make improvements by making grants available. In other words, he's not threatening to arm teachers which would be a deal breaker for me. 

Thornton's list of issues is wordy and perhaps a bit vague for my liking. It's like in college when maybe you had to write a book summary, but you didn't quite read the whole book. Or let's say you want to review a restaurant that you didn't actually eat at. You can look at the pictures online and talk to others who dined there, but unless you actually eat the food you'll sound like you don't know what you're talking about. So, I'm back to having concerns based on the fact that Thornton hasn't really worked in a school. 

Another concern I have is that the National Education Association isn't endorsing either candidate. Clearly they have a preference for recommending candidates from the Democratic party, but Thornton is suspiciously absent from their list. Professional Educators of Georgia produced a great document comparing the gubernatorial candidates as well as the candidates for superintendent. I enjoyed reading the interview questions and felt a little better about Thornton...enough that I don't think we're doomed if he wins, but not enough to make me think he'd do a better job than Woods.

Woods is pushing to expand the salary steps for teachers beyond 21 years and I'm liking this idea a lot as this is year 20 for me. It makes no sense that we essentially put our veteran teachers out to pasture after 20 years. On a personal note, however, I am definitely not okay with veteran teachers thinking they can just coast through their twilight years in the classroom. While, I'd say this is rare, it happens and I've seen it several times over the years. (This is dangerously close to a whole 'nother can of worms...performance pay for teachers...and I'm not even going to touch that here.)

I encourage you to do the research on these candidates. Surf around on their websites. I am happy to report that both of these gentleman appear to be of strong character and neither have included negative campaigning against their opponent (that I've found anyways). 

This race a great example of where I may have voted for a candidate who was less qualified by simply voting party lines. 


No comments:

Post a Comment